Public Relations Account Director - Portland, OR
Matter is an independent and thriving brand elevation agency unifying PR, social media, creative services search marketing and digital marketing. From fast growth startups to established brands, we work with clients across diverse industries, including technology, consumer and professional services. We immerse ourselves in our clients' worlds so that we can develop and execute strategic, content-rich campaigns that inspire action and build value through measurable results.
As we've grown, we've maintained focus on building and nurturing a team-oriented and creative environment because we know that when we tap into our collective brainpower we come up with inspired solutions for our clients and because it makes for a happy place to work. We're proud of the many awards that we've garnered as a Top Place to Work and as a Top Agency in the US, but we're equally proud of the many organizations that we've helped through our agency-wide volunteer program. If you're the kind of professional that takes their work seriously, but also doesn't take themselves too seriously, this could be the place to grow your career.
We’re currently looking for a motivated, results-driven Public Relations Account Director with tech industry experience to join our Portland, OR office who will take a lead role in managing client PR programs through traditional and social media channels.
Here’s the mix of what you’ll be doing day to day:
- Lead client relations and development of results-focused PR strategies/programs, manage and execute media relations, and identify opportunities to build clients visibility in the press and its target business communities that align with their overall business goals. Will also lead strategic and creative input on client social media programs.
- Lead account teams, servicing both privately-held and publicly-traded clients in the technology, consumer, professional services and other industries.
- Become an expert on your clients’ businesses and the competitive landscape. Work closely with clients to glean story ideas and develop newsworthy press releases and proactive media pitches. Also use this knowledge to shape strategic, results-oriented social media programs.
- Lead account teams in the execution of all programs and assume accountability for meeting all program deliverables. Act as mentor and coach for team members, taking an active role in their professional development and building a team based on mutual respect and trust.
- Collaborate and partner with other senior team members at Matter on new business, client programs and agency-wide initiatives – establishes strong relationships internally as well as externally.
- Establish and drive a new business pipeline through networking, events, relevant experience, cold calling/outreach – as well as playing key roles on inbound new biz leads and RFPs.
- Forecast client budgets and staff accordingly.
Along with creativity, drive and self-motivation, your previous experience and attributes will include:
- 8+ years’ experience in b2b and b2c tech public relations (previous agency experience required)
- Artificial intelligence, security experience is a plus.
- Ability to conceive and oversee the implementation of overall communication programs, as well as targeted product launches, announcements, strategies, message development and corporate positioning
- A demonstrated track record of leading successful, measurable PR and social media programs for multiple accounts, proven ability to retain clients year-over-year and grow PR and Social Media programs
- Demonstrated ability to grow staff members’ so that they can assume greater responsibility
- Driving culture of self-motivation/discipline to overcome obstacles and achieve business results
- A desire to work in a fast-moving, dynamic, team-oriented environment with the ability to manage multiple clients simultaneously
- A results-oriented approach to all work that is produced
- Strong writing skills with demonstrated experience creating messaging/positioning, press releases, etc.
Matter provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.